Packwood Roll of Honour



Bradley, Thomas William MackenzieRoyal Garrison Artillery
Brooke, Leonard StopfordRAF
Bunbury, Thomas St PierreRAF
Carless, Albert William BuchanMiddlesex
Cox, George PottingerEssex
Davies, Charles HughRoyal Welsh
Hepburn, Roger PaulRoyal Engineers
Hinkley, Siegfried ThomasThe Buffs
Jenkins, Arthur LewisRoyal Flying Corps
King, Charles WilliamSouth Staffs
Mylne, Euan LouisIrish Guards
Pearce, Edward SaxelbyRoyal Worcesters
Sale, Edward HansonGloucesters
Sale, Richard LauderRoyal Horse Guards
Shenstone, WilliamRoyal Worcesters
Thomas, Howard Victor FraserRoyal Scots
Trotter, Alexander NigelRoyal Scots
Tyron, John FrancisRoyal Navy
Willmott, John DynottRoyal Worcesters
Willmott, Robert DynottKing's Royal Rifles
Wiseman, Willingham Franklin GellLincolnshire
Wyatt-Smith, Hugh HargreaveArtists Rifles
Wyatt-Smith, John DrummondRoyal Flying Corps

Thomas William Mackenzie Bradley was born on 21 July 1896 in Meopham, Kent. His parents were William Mackenzie Hooper Erkinger Bradley and Augusta Lucy Mackenzie Bradley. His father worked for an East India merchant. He came to Packwood in 1904 and left in 1910 to go to Charterhouse as a boarder. He enlisted in 1916 as a gunner in the 110th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. He was killed in action in the Battle of Arras on 21 March 1918 and has no known grave. He was 21 years old. He is commemorated in Faubourg d’Amiens British Cemetery, Arras, Dept. du Pas-de-Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France. Back to top.

Leonard Stopford Brooke was born in 1895 in Kensington, London. His father was Leonard Leslie Brooke, artist and writer and his mother Sybil Diana Brooke. His younger brother was Henry Brooke, Baron Brooke of Cumnor, home secretary and later a peer. He came to Packwood in 1905, entering Marlborough College (Littlefield) in 1909 and leaving in July 1912. He then attended Lincoln College, Oxford and was gazetted to the King’s Royal Rifle Corps in March 1915. He served in France with the Army Cyclist Corps from November 1915 to March 1917 becoming a Lieutenant. He then joined the RAF 110th Squadron. He was part of several bombing raids over Germany flying De Havilland DH9A Medium Bomber Biplanes. He died in an air battle on the return flight after a successful raid on Frankfurt on 25 September 1918 aged 23 years and was buried in Karlsruhe (urban), Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany. Back to top.

Thomas St. Pierre Bunbury was born on 11 September 1894 in India. His parents were Major-General William Edwin Bunbury of the Indian Army and Eva Mary Bunbury of Chope Barton, Northam, Devon. He was a member of a distinguished Irish family, his grandfather being Dr Thomas Bunbury the sometime Bishop of Limerick. He came to Packwood in 1903, leaving in 1908 to go to Clifton College. He left Clifton in 1912 to go to RMA Woolwich where he gained a third place Prize Cadetship. He joined the Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery achieving the rank of Captain. He later joined the RAF 54th Squadron. He died on 31 August 1918 in an air fight. He was aged 24. He was buried in the Vis-en-Artois British Cemetery, Haucourt, Dept. du Pas-de Calais, Nord-Pas-de Calais, France. Back to top.

Albert William Buchan Carless was born on 13 October 1893 in Marylebone, London. His father was Professor Albert Carless, professor of surgery at King’s College. His mother was Ada Bridger Carless. He came to Packwood in 1903 and left for Clifton College in July 1907. He then became a medical student gaining the Warneford entrance scholarship at King’s College. He was a member of the University OTC. He joined up in 1914 and attained the rank of Lieutenant in the Duke of Cambridge’s Own (Middlesex Regiment) 5th battalion. He was wounded at the battle of Loos and died at the casualty clearing station at Choques on 26 September 1915. He was 21 years old. He is buried at Choques, France. Back to top.

George Pottinger Cox was born in Tientsin, China on 15 January 1892. He was the son of the Reverend George M H Innocent, a Methodist missionary, who worked in North China. The Reverend Innocent died of a sudden sickness in 1891 before George was born. His widow, Florence Elizabeth Cox, remarried Alexander George Cox district engineer of the Imperial Chinese Railways and brought George up as his own son. The family were caught up in the Boxer Rebellion in the early part of the 20th century. Alexander Cox was awarded a silver medal for his help in the relief of Peking, 1 April 1902.

George Cox came to Packwood in 1903 entering Clifton College in April 1907. He then went to RMC Sandhurst and was gazetted 2nd Lieutenant 1st Essex Regiment on 14 February 1912. He was promoted Lieutenant on 21 August 1914 and Captain in August 1915. He went with his regiment to India in September 1912 and then to Pretoria in October 1913. When war broke out he returned to England and from November 1914 served with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force. He took part in the landing on 25 April 1915 at Gallipoli but was wounded on 28 April and was admitted to hospital in Alexandria. He returned to the firing line and was killed in action on 24 December 1915 by a bomb dropped from an aeroplane. He was 22 years old.

His commanding officer wrote, “I am writing to say how sorry I am, as Colonel of the regiment in Essex, about the death of your son. He was an extremely good officer and very popular. A short time ago I made a special report about his action in carrying a wounded man under fire, and I was expecting him to be awarded the MC or something better.”

Captain Cox was mentioned in dispatches in the London Gazette on 11 July 1916 by General Charles Munroe for gallant and distinguished service in the field. He is buried at the Memorial Cemetery, Lancashire Landing Cemetery, Gallipoli, Canakkale, Turkey. Back to top.

Charles Hugh Davies was born in June 1887 in Stoke Bishop, Gloucestershire. His father was Thomas Davidson Davies, a maths teacher and his mother Elinor Lucy Davies. He came to Packwood in 1899 and then attended Rugby School. He then studied classics at Magdalen College, Oxford where he held a ‘Demyship’, a kind of scholarship. Once he graduated he joined the Indian civil Service. In 1910 he went to Burma to work with the Burma Railways Volunteer Company. When war came he was determined to join up and returned to England to enlist. He was so keen to get to the Front that he enlisted as a Private in the Artillery Company. He served in France and was later commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Welsh regiment. On 17 January 1916 he was asleep in his dug-out when a piece of shrapnel from a bomb pierced the roof and hit his head. He never recovered consciousness. He was 28 years old. He is buried at Le Touret Military Cemetery, near Bethune, France. Back to top.

Roger Paul Hepburn was born in 1893 at Bradninch, Devon. His parents were Sir Henry and Lady Hepburn, his father made his money as a paper manufacturer. Roger was educated at Collingwood House, Exeter and joined Packwood in 1905. He then went to Rugby and in 1911 studied natural sciences at Magdalene College, Cambridge where he gained a first. He was an active member of the University OTC. On the day war was declared he and two of his fellow students left Cambridge at midnight on their motor cycles and offered themselves as despatch riders for service with the expeditionary force. After eight months as a despatch rider he was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers. He retrained as a signaller and went back to France in November 1915. He was then continuously at the Front, except for short intervals of leave. He was awarded the MC in June 1917 for general good service. His Commanding Officer wrote, “I found him of the utmost help, and always considered his opinion of very great value. He was without equal in bravery and disregard for his personal safety and comfort.”

He was engaged to be married to Denise, only child of Dr and Madame Sacreste of Bouges, France. He was wounded and died on 8 August 1917 at Passchendaele, Belgium. He was 24 years old. He was buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Poperinge, West Flanders, Belgium. Back to top.

Siegfried Thomas Hinkley was born in 1897 in Bangalore, India. His father was a missionary for the London Mission Society. He had been an elementary school teacher but had retrained to be a Congregational minister in 1891. His mother was Edyth Emma Hinkley. Siegfried joined Packwood in 1906 and then attended Blundells. He became a 2nd Lieutenant in The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) in the 6th Battalion “C” Company. He died on 3 July 1916 at the first Battle of the Somme. He was aged 19. He was buried at the Ovilliers Military Cemetery, a battle cemetery behind a dressing station on the Somme. On his grave was the family’s choice of inscription, “In undying remembrance/Until the day dawn and the shadows flee away. EH.WH.VH.” Back to top.

Arthur Lewis Jenkins was born on 9 March 1892 at Ivor house, Redland, Bristol. His parents were Sir John Lewis Jenkins KCSI, ICS and Florence Mildred, daughter of Sir Arthur Trevor. He was one of seven siblings – the five brothers all attended Packwood. Arthur came to Packwood in 1901 and then went to Marlborough in 1905 winning a Foundation Scholarship. He then won the second Balliol scholarship in 1910. There he studied classics and was destined for the Indian Civil Service when war broke out. He joined the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry being gazetted as a 2nd Lieutenant on 7 October 1914. He served in India and on the Aden Front as a machine gun officer. He was promoted Lieutenant and was posted to Palestine in spring 1917. He then transferred to the RFC in May and obtained his wings later that year. He returned to England and served for a time at Hounslow, being transferred to Helperby in Yorkshire to train for night flying. He was killed on night duty on 31 December 1917. He was 25 years old. He is buried in Richmond Cemetery, Surrey. He wrote a book of poems called ‘Forlorn Adventures’. Back to top.

Charles William King was born in 1896 at The Croft, Stourbridge, Worcestershire. His parents were Henry Charles King and Edith Turney King. His father was a fire brick manufacturer. He came to Packwood in 1906 and then attended Radley. He then left to go to RMC Sandhurst. He became a 2nd Lieutenant in South Staffordshire Regiment 2nd battalion. He was killed in action at the battle of Loos on 25 September 1915. He was 19 years old. He is commemorated at the Loos Memorial, having no known grave. Back to top.

Euan Louis Mylne was born on 16 June 1897 in Surbiton, Surrey. His father was Louis George Mylne a Church of England clergyman, Bishop of Bombay from 1876-1897 and later Rector of Alvechurch and then Marlborough. His mother was Amy Frederica Mylne. He was educated at Packwood from 1907 and left in 1910 to go to Uppingham. He left school in December 1915 and was gazetted as 2nd Lieutenant to the Irish Guards on 16 February 1916. He was promoted Lieutenant serving with the Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders. He died on the battlefield on 15 September 1916 from wounds received at Les Beoufs during the battle of the Somme. He was working machine guns to check a heavy counter-attack from the enemy. He was struck by a sniper’s bullet, which pierced his right hand and lodged in his flank. As he drifted into unconsciousness the Irish Guards were driven back from this hard won trench and it was impossible for them to take him with them and he was left as he was on a stretcher. He was posthumously awarded the MC for conspicuous gallantry in action. “In the final stages of the attack, when different units were mixed up, he showed great coolness in reorganising the men. He led on to an advanced position with great dash and consolidated under heavy fire. While doing this he was severely wounded.” (London Gazette 14 November 1916) He was 19 years old. He is buried in the Guard’s Cemetery, Les Beoufs, France. Back to top.

Edward Saxelby Pearce was born in Solihull in April 1893. His father was Edward Henry Pearce a looking glass manufacturer, who died at the age of 49 in January 1901, leaving his widow Mary Elizabeth to bring up their two young sons. Edward, the younger of the two, joined Packwood in 1905. He then attended Clifton College from September 1907 taking up a career in farming. There is a record of him attending Birmingham University as a student in science, arts and commerce between 1914 and 1915. He joined the army in 1916 becoming a 2nd Lieutenant on 25 October 1916 in the 2nd battalion of the 7th Worcestershire Regiment (Territorial). He was killed in action on 21 March 1918 at Cambrai in France and is commemorated at the Arras Memorial, Nord-pas-de- Calais. He is also remembered on the Solihull War Memorial next to St Alphege’s Church. He was 25 years old. Back to top.

Edward Hanson Sale was born in June 1891 to Alfred, a solicitor, and Gertrude at The Orchard, Atherstone, Warwickshire. He was the third of his parents’ four sons. Richard, the eldest, also died in the war and Alfred and John survived. He came to Packwood in 1901 and then attended Aldenham School in Hertfordshire. After leaving school he became an insurance clerk living for a time in Pimlico, London. He was appointed to a Temporary Regular Commission in the Gloucestershire Regiment as a 2nd Lieutenant on 17 October 1914 and posted to the 10th (Service) battalion Gloucestershire Regiment. He was promoted to Captain but died on the first day of the battle of Loos on 25 August 1915. He was buried at St Mary’s Advanced Dressing Station Cemetery, Haisnes, Departement du pas-de-Calais. He was 25 years old. Back to top.

Richard Lauder Sale was born 1 August 1887 to Alfred, a solicitor, and Gertrude of The Orchard, Atherstone, Warwickshire. He was the eldest of four sons, all of whom went to Packwood. Edward died during the war and John and Alfred survived. He came to Packwood in 1898 leaving to go to Clifton College in April 1902. Here he was part of the Clifton College 1st XI. He trained to be a solicitor in London. In October 1913 he married Dorothy Northcott. He joined the Inns of Court OTC in May 1915 and was gazetted 2nd Lieutenant Royal Horse Guards in October 1915. He was promoted to Lieutenant in 1917 serving in France between January 1916 and January 1918. He died of his wounds received in a raid on the enemy’s lines on January 15 1918. He is buried in Tincourt New British Cemetery, Tincourt Churchyard, Picardie, France. He was 30 years old. Back to top.

William Shenstone was born on 27 August 1890 in the Deritend area of Birmingham. His parents were William, an iron plate worker and later painter, and Lily Shenstone. After leaving school he became a painter and paper hanger working for a Mr King of Aston. He joined the 6th battalion Worcester Regiment aged 17 years and 11 months on 6 July 1907. He joined up for six years leaving the army in 1913 but being transferred to the reserves from which he was recalled at the outbreak of the war joining the 3rd battalion Worcester Regiment as a Private. He served with the Expeditionary Force in France and died on 13 October 1914 in Lanconture. He was buried in the Departement du Pas-de-Calais, France. He was 24 years old.

NB Although William Shenstone appears in the Packwood records as having attended the school it seems unlikely that the son of a railway worker, living in a back-to-back house would have been a pupil at a fee paying prep school. Also it has been verified that this William did not attend Clifton College. It may be that he was at the school for some other purpose such as working as a servant. Back to top.

Howard Victor Fraser Thomas was born in 1897 in Inverness, the son of Harry Dewdney Thomas, the Headmaster of Cargilfield School, and his wife Mary Inglis Thomas. He came to Packwood in 1906 and left to go to Winchester College in 1911. Here he was a House Prefect and involved in athletics and was a Corporal in the OTC. He was commissioned into the 3rd battalion, the Royal Scots in September 1915, going to the front in May 1916 as 2nd Lieutenant. He was wounded at the Battle of Arras the following year and received the MC for gallantry and devotion to duty. “He led his platoon to the second objective with great courage, where he organised a party and outflanked the enemy, enfilading them, inflicting heavy losses. He was wounded but carried on throughout the day.” (From the citation in the London Gazette). He was later promoted to acting Captain. He died on 24 October 1918 in the final push against the Germans at the battle of Courtrai. He was killed outright by a machine gun bullet in the head. He was buried in Harlebecke, West Flanders, Belgium. He was 21 years old. Back to top.

Alexander Nigel Trotter was born 17 September 1894 in Cottesmore Gardens, London. He was the only son of Alexander Pelham Trotter, a civil servant in the Board of Trade and his wife Alys Fane Trotter, the poet. He came to Packwood in 1903, leaving for Clifton College in 1908. He was a member of the OTC, shot in the Bisley VIII and was one of the best boxers in the school. He was gazetted 2nd Lieutenant in the 3rd battalion of the Royal Scots on 21 December 1912. He was promoted Lieutenant on 9 July 1914 and was Transport Officer for his battalion at the outbreak of war. He left for France in August 1914. He was killed in action at La Fosse, near Vielle Chapelle on 12 October 1914 while engaged in attacking a wood held by the Germans. His Company Commander, Major F C Tanner DSO, wrote “Everyone is unanimous that Nigel died like a hero, and knowing him I could not suppose otherwise.” His mother wrote a book of poetry in his memory called ‘Nigel, and Other Verses’. He was buried in the Department de Nord, Nord-Pas-de- Calais, France. He was 20 years old. Back to top.

John Francis Tryon was born on 18 June 1891 in Clifton, Bristol to Stephen Tryon, a chartered accountant and his wife Mary Annie Dickson Tryon. He came to Packwood in 1901 and left after winning a scholarship to RNC Osborne. He is listed as a Midshipman in 1909 and was a Sub Lieutenant in January 1912. He joined submarines in 1913 and was appointed to HMS Arrogant at Portsmouth for submarine C35. He was promoted to Lieutenant on 15 August 1913. He married Hilda Jane Hammond in October 1914. His first command came with an appointment to the submarine depot ship HMS Bonaventure for command of submarine C12. In August 1917 he then transferred to the submarine depot ship HMS Lucia for command of submarine G8. This submarine was patrolling the North Sea in January 1918 and failed to return. It is believed that she was lost in a German minefield on or about 14 January 1918. He is commemorated on the Portsmouth naval memorial and was 26 years old when he died. Back to top.

John Dynott Willmot was the eldest son of George Dynott, a land agent and surveyor, and Nellie Willmott. He was born in 1896 and lived at Blyth Cottage, Coleshill, Warwickshire. He came to Packwood in 1905 aged 9 and then went on to Malvern College. He trained as a surveyor. He joined the Worcestershire Regiment as a 2nd Lieutenant. He died on 3 July 1915 aged 19. Back to top.

Robert Dynott Willmot was the second son of George Dynott and Nellie Willmot and the brother of John, who also died in the First World War. He was born in 1899 and came to Packwood in 1908. He left to go to Malvern College in 1912. He joined the King’s Royal Rifle Corps as a 2nd Lieutenant. He died on 17 February 1915 at the St Julien Dressing Station Cemetery at Langemark-Poelkapelle, West Flanders and was buried there. He was 19 years old. Back to top.

Willingham Franklin Gell Wiseman was born in 1892 in Bitterne, Hampshire to the Rev. Henry John Wiseman and his wife Eleanor Elizabeth Franklin Gell. The Rev. Wiseman was later chaplain at Clifton College, Bristol. Willingham came to Packwood in 1902 and left to go to Clifton College. On leaving school he went to RMC Sandhurst joining 2nd battalion Lincolnshire Regiment. He was mentioned in despatches on 22 June 1915 and later promoted to Captain. He died on the first day of the battle of the Somme, 1 July 1916, and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. He was 25 years old. Back to top.

Hugh Hargreave Wyatt-Smith was born 9 February 1898 at Gunton, Orange Free State, South Africa. He was the son of Rupert and Maud Wyatt-Smith of Abersky, London Road, Guildford, Surrey. He came to Packwood in 1909 and attended Sherborne College between January 1912 and December 1915. Here he won the Longmuir English Prize in 1915 and was a member of the 1st XI cricket team. He became a Private in the 2nd/28th London Regiment (Artists Rifles). He died in London on 17 February 1916 from a burst appendix, and is buried at the church of St John the Evangelist, Merrow, Surrey. He was 18 years old. Back to top.

John Drummond Wyatt-Smith was born on 26 January 1899 at Gunton, Orange Free State, South Africa and was the second son of Rupert and Maud Wyatt-Smith of Abersky, London Road, Guildford, Surrey. He came to Packwood in 1909. In the two years or so he was at the school Packwood never lost a cricket match nor did he average less than 100 runs a season. He went to Sherborne School in January 1913 and left in July 1917. Here he also showed exceptional athletic ability, gaining both his XV and XI colours in 1915 and becoming one of the best all-round cricketers Sherborne has ever produced. He was also a prefect and was a born leader known for his efficiency in command and leadership. He became a cadet officer in the OTC. In 1917 he joined 28th Squadron RFC as a training pilot. He made very rapid progress with his flying and in March 1918 he was sent out to Italy. He was killed near Padua in Italy on 17 March 1918 owing to an accident to his aircraft when leaving the aerodrome. He was buried at Cimitero Maggiore, Padua, Provincia di Padua, Veneto, Italy. He was 19 years old. Back to top.