• Packwood-Haugh_Inspiring-environment

    Inspiring environment

Overseas pupils

As a full boarding school, Packwood is an attractive option for a number of overseas pupils, whether foreign pupils, children of ex-pats, or children of parents in the forces. We currently have pupils from Hong Kong, China, Japan, Russia, Spain and France.

Please follow the links for further information if you are a Chinese national

Overseas Admissions Process

  1. Complete Registration Form. (copy of passport and school report required.)
  2. Online Assessment (CAT Test) -includes, verbal, non verbal & quantitative reasoning. Normally held in December/January.
  3. Interview (by skype/zoom) with the Headmaster. Normally held in December/January.
  4. Offer letter and Acceptance Form sent within a week of assessment process completed.
  5. Student Visa CAS number applied for once full years fees have been reecived.
  6. New pupil information and online meetings with House Parents arranged for the Summer Term prior to joining.

Tier 4 Student visa

Packwood is a Tier 4 Sponsor, registered with the UKVI.  As a Tier 4 sponsor we can assign ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)’ to international students which enables them to obtain a Tier 4 visa. The school will issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS) directly to the UK Border Agency. The CAS number is provided to the student for presentation with their visa application.

English as an Additional Language

Our recommendation is that foreign pupils have at least some English before they arrive at Packwood, so that they can integrate and feel at home more quickly. On occasions, a child has spent the previous summer at a language school nearby, and this has helped. Most overseas pupils will have specialist English language lessons in a small group or on a one to one basis. These sessions are run by members of our Learning Support department who are qualified to teach ‘English as an Additional Language’ on a one-to-one basis, and time is found to do this by withdrawing the children from Latin or French lessons. Support is also offered with subject content for other academic subjects such as history and science.


Pupils whose parents are based abroad must have an English speaking contact in the UK who can be responsible for arrangements at the beginning and end of each term and for the care of pupils during half-terms, exeats and in emergencies. Suitable guardians might be relatives or family friends resident in the UK; alternatively there are several agencies that offer this service.

Exeats and half-terms

If an overseas pupil is unable to travel abroad to see parents at exeats and half-terms, he/she will often spend the time with a guardian, a member of the family, or a friend.


If travelling by plane, we are happy to make arrangements with a local taxi driver to transport the pupil to and from the airport. The taxi driver will remain at the airport until the plane has taken off. The nearest airport is Manchester.

More Information

To read more about the boarding experience for overseas boarders please click here.